This commercial is for Newfoundland tourism, and talks about all the dialects we have back home. I know there’s people I met from back home that I couldn’t understand. And I know out near Port aux Port they speak with french accents, even if they don’t speak french. I also remember my buddy Dave Quinton telling me he met people out there that spoke with french sentence structure. “Throw the baby down over the stairs a bottle” was one such expression.
But we also have more sayings and word usages that are unique, and for most of us we probably don’t even realize it. Not gonna define these, but I’m sure all Newfoundlanders will recognize them, you CFA‘s ask if you want to know!
- I’m gonna give you a klout up the side of the head!
- Poverty, and the devil throwing rocks at it.
- you’re some stunned
- where you longs to?
- your hair is like a birch broom in the fits!
- Now d’wonce
- born tired
- I’m gutfounded!
- Lard dyin! You got the stove on siz, take the side outta her!
- whoever knit you dropped a stitch
- what odds?
- I squat all me chips!
- De arse is gone right outta her
- Caplin weather
- Mauzy old day
- he’s some hard ticket
- you’re gonna get a tannin (thanks Eric)
I know there’s a ton not coming to mind now, I’ll update this one sometimes, and comment on any you remember!Raised in outport Newfoundland in a town of 65 people, I pursued a post secondary diploma in Information Technology right out of High School. I’ve always been a geek at heart, but yet I love the rural life I grew up with. Fishing, hunting, camping and the great outdoors are still loves of mine, even if I don’t pursue them as often as I once did. Sports were always a big part of our lives, and I played many (badly) and loved them all.
- Blasty Boughs and Boil UpsA cup of tea always tastes better in the woods. I’ve heard that statement said so many times over the years and I guess I have to agree, because from my perspective anyway, it can’t taste worse! One of the best things about a winter day on the pond trouting, …
- Cabins in the WoodsAs adults we all know the lure of the cabin in the woods, to be able to relax, no electricity, no phones, nothing but birds and relaxation. But as boys we too seemed to have a fascination with cabins, or at least we did back home. I can’t even begin …
- Spring is Sprung, the cucumbers is riz?Spring is sprung the grass is riz, I wonder where the bluebirds is? An old rhyme that I’m sure most have heard before, but coupled with memories the other day of double daylight savings time, I was reminded of another of our illustrious former premier Peckford’s achievements, the Sprung Greenhouse! …
If you follow the tech scene at all, and likely even if not, you’ve probably heard a lot of buzz about Mastodon lately. I’m actually perhaps a little late to the scene, but I joined the bandwagon this past weekend, and thought I’d share my thoughts and tips. Sorry for any incoherence. And I’ll update […]
Was watching (or trying at least) to watch some sports last night. Harkening back to my love of curling, there’s a tournament in Toronto, and I was expecting coverage. Apparently they aren’t deeming to until Thursday, so be it. But for the love of god, between them TSN and SportsNet have 10 different feeds. Last […]
I can’t say I watch wrestling much anymore, but when I was younger I remember going to some bar or another to watch almost all the major events. I have a memory of this one motel bar out by what used to be the beginning of the divided highway, which was nearly into Kenmount road […]
The NHL announced today it won’t be participating in the next olympics. I get some of the reasons, but I really think it’s short sighted. Yeah it’s in the middle of the season, yeah some of the players could get injured. But they could get injured walking to the rink too. To me the the olympics […]
I’m currently watching the men’s world curling championships. I know a lot of people laugh at the game and can’t seem to follow it, but to me it’s probably my favorite thing to watch. It sounds simple, get your rock as close to the center as you can, and prevent the other team from doing […]