I will Remember
As a boy, I used to sell poppies door to door for Uncle Eph (Eaphraim) Cooper. Well I guess it was for the Legion, of which he was a member, but I always called it for him.
Uncle Eph was a veteran of WWI, and I will always remember what he and his companions did and scarified for us, and I will always wear the poppy.
I have no objection to those who want to protest war, my wearing of the poppy doesn’t signify a glorification of war. I do believe sometimes wars are necessary, or have been. Sometimes freedom IS at stake. And for those who are free to protest war, think about what your freedom cost.
Do I believe some of the actions or government takes now are for freedom? No, I do believe many are for profit. And to me that’s just another sign of the deterioration of our so called democracy, not a reflection on our soldiers.
Remember those who are lost, those who didn’t come home, those who sacrificed all. Remember that we are free, free to argue, free to not wear a badge, a number, free from incarceration without cause.
Two things to say that others have said better than me.
— * W. Brett Wilson * (@WBrettWilson) November 7, 2013
“Blind faith in your leaders, or in anything,
will get you killed.”
Don’t take our freedom for granted. Honor those who have fallen, but remember what they fought for, and lets make sure we don’t lose it from the inside.
- They went with songs to the battle, they were young.
- Straight of limb, true of eyes, steady and aglow.
- They were staunch to the end against odds uncounted,
- They fell with their faces to the foe.
- They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
- Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
- At the going down of the sun and in the morning,
- We will remember them.
- They mingle not with their laughing comrades again;
- They sit no more at familiar tables of home;
- They have no lot in our labour of the day-time;
- They sleep beyond England’s foam
One of the most poignant remembrance day images comes from the comedy show Black Adder. Have a watch. Probably the toughest TV scene I’ve ever watched, if you can make it through without tears, well you’re doing better than me.
- SummerBlast 95Prologue Like most people of my generation, house parties were a normal thing to attend, but I’d never held one, mostly because my folks were pretty stay at home, and didn’t go out a lot for extended times for me to actually have a location. There was always a crowd …
- Oh that Dogberry WineIn rural Newfoundland, store bought anything in earlier days was rare. People fended for themselves, and their neighbours, and as I’ve mentioned before, trades of things were common. Store bought alcohol was as well rarer than now. People made their own home brewed beer with their own recipes, not the …
- If the lightning doesn’t get them!The oldfolks would say, there’ll be lots of bakeapples if the lightning don’t get em! July, whether there’s any truth to it or not, or just superstition or coincidence, is an important month in determining the yield of some berries. Obviously a late frost is likely to kill the young …
If you follow the tech scene at all, and likely even if not, you’ve probably heard a lot of buzz about Mastodon lately. I’m actually perhaps a little late to the scene, but I joined the bandwagon this past weekend, and thought I’d share my thoughts and tips. Sorry for any incoherence. And I’ll update […]
Was watching (or trying at least) to watch some sports last night. Harkening back to my love of curling, there’s a tournament in Toronto, and I was expecting coverage. Apparently they aren’t deeming to until Thursday, so be it. But for the love of god, between them TSN and SportsNet have 10 different feeds. Last […]
I can’t say I watch wrestling much anymore, but when I was younger I remember going to some bar or another to watch almost all the major events. I have a memory of this one motel bar out by what used to be the beginning of the divided highway, which was nearly into Kenmount road […]
The NHL announced today it won’t be participating in the next olympics. I get some of the reasons, but I really think it’s short sighted. Yeah it’s in the middle of the season, yeah some of the players could get injured. But they could get injured walking to the rink too. To me the the olympics […]
I’m currently watching the men’s world curling championships. I know a lot of people laugh at the game and can’t seem to follow it, but to me it’s probably my favorite thing to watch. It sounds simple, get your rock as close to the center as you can, and prevent the other team from doing […]