Just recalling some old stories and memories from back in the day… not long enough for a blog post on their own, but some may remember them
- The Bank of Barry – It seemed in the early 90’s almost everyone on the upper end of the island owed Barry money, me included on occasion. Wonder if he ever got paid it all!
- Driving with Eric in his father’s old yellow station wagon (with wood paneling), picking up Boyd Rideout, and after coming around the tunnel, him saying that we were going so fast he could see the tail lights out the side window as the car bent!
- Eric and I driving to Hants Harbour planning to call dad, cause he was always saying we’d be over there if there was a bridge across! Unfortunately we couldn’t find a pay phone there (was a Sunday when stores were still closed on Sundays). We did call him from Whitbourne though! (Also, the number of amazing looking girls out walking in the small town of Cavendish that Sunday was unreal!).
- Taking the ferry to Quebec and calling Lindy collect.
- Three words “Oh shit, diesel!” the rest of the story and the participant will be left nameless to protect the less than innocent.
- Tipping Dad’s atv over backwards on top of Eric and I when we first got it
- “You tried that Dennis!” When Stan had been hit in the nether regions for the umpteenth time when playing road or ice hockey with whatever we were using for a puck
- Playing hockey in the big ditch area by Gunther Krom’s.
- Lorrie and Julie playing on the springing caterpillars or whatever they were in the Shoal Harbour playground at about 2am after leaving the playhouse.
- “Peter, doors open, lights on” – We were stopped at a roadblock one night, and being nervous, I asked the cop if she wanted the light on when searching the car. That was Junior’s response. She was laughing her butt off, of course that may have been partially cause Eric and Junior has been commenting on her butt.
- Convincing Kendall that the white wrapped hay we saw on the farms was in fact marshmallows and that they grew that way and had to be sent away to be cut and packaged.
- The Mr. Bean car Derek bought off Stephen, we drove that everywhere, up across banks and ditches and gardens.
- Chevy Van!
- Derek bought another car off Joe Baker. Had an accident in it near Ivan’s old place. I think the story was he hit black ice in July, but knowing Derek he probably fell asleep. The funny part though was Joe coming and seeing it and saying “She wasn’t like that when I had her”
- Getting a speeding ticket in the old Corisca the day of David’s and Celeste’s wedding when Eric and Derek and Leanne had me drove nuts about the motor being gone.
- The CremationBack in the early 90’s I think it was, one of our regular clan, and one of the hosts of our semi-regular poker games, Ivan Patey, went away to the mainland for work. He’d been gone a while, and none of us (the gang of people, I can’t speak for …
- Sports Day at VardyvilleSpring is coming (please please please, I’m begging!) and while its still early, it brings back to mind Sports Day at Random Island school. Back for the first few years when we went there, every year we’d have a sports day, with races, discus, shot put, and the like. There’d …
- The Old OuthouseLast night the rain was coming down, making a soothing noise, but reminding me of many cabin trips where we’d have to brave the rain to use the facilities. For some reason I was also reminded of The Red Green Show, and the poems Red used to recite. I came …
If you follow the tech scene at all, and likely even if not, you’ve probably heard a lot of buzz about Mastodon lately. I’m actually perhaps a little late to the scene, but I joined the bandwagon this past weekend, and thought I’d share my thoughts and tips. Sorry for any incoherence. And I’ll update […]
Was watching (or trying at least) to watch some sports last night. Harkening back to my love of curling, there’s a tournament in Toronto, and I was expecting coverage. Apparently they aren’t deeming to until Thursday, so be it. But for the love of god, between them TSN and SportsNet have 10 different feeds. Last […]
I can’t say I watch wrestling much anymore, but when I was younger I remember going to some bar or another to watch almost all the major events. I have a memory of this one motel bar out by what used to be the beginning of the divided highway, which was nearly into Kenmount road […]
The NHL announced today it won’t be participating in the next olympics. I get some of the reasons, but I really think it’s short sighted. Yeah it’s in the middle of the season, yeah some of the players could get injured. But they could get injured walking to the rink too. To me the the olympics […]
I’m currently watching the men’s world curling championships. I know a lot of people laugh at the game and can’t seem to follow it, but to me it’s probably my favorite thing to watch. It sounds simple, get your rock as close to the center as you can, and prevent the other team from doing […]