Raised in outport Newfoundland in a town of 65 people, I pursued a post secondary diploma in Information Technology right out of High School. Graduating into the recession of the early 80s, with a student loan at an interest rate of 13.75%, with a diploma, but no clue how to apply for a job or contacts to rely on, led me back home, and eventually into the hotel business from the accounting side.
Eventually tiring of a job I didn’t like, I made the decision to go back to school, and moved to Nova Scotia and back into the career I really do love, a Web/Database developer. I’ve always been a geek at heart, but yet I love the rural life I grew up with. Fishing, hunting, camping and the great outdoors are still loves of mine, even if I don’t pursue them as often as I once did. Sports were always a big part of our lives, and I played many (badly) and loved them all.
I’ve never lost my love of home, and will always be a country boy no matter how long I live in the city. Keeping those memories alive, and sharing them with those who may be interested led me to start blogging here. This little corner of the net is a spot for my recollections, stories, and re-tellings of others I’ve heard from back home on Random Island, NL. Hopefully you’ll get some insight on life in outport Newfoundland at least from the time frames I know of. I’ve also got a portfolio site of sorts, which is more devoted to what I do, from apps to websites, to attempting to write. You can check that out at thepetersmith.com. Sometimes I blog there about other topics; politics, rants, sports, or whatever might catch my attention.
I am also a gadget and technology aficionado. A Sci-Fi and Fantasy devotee. Like to play video games.
I’m the cat that curiosity hasn’t killed yet. I am interested in nearly everything from ancient history to modern gadgets. Always curious about walks of life and how people live and lived.
The journey is the destination, learning never ends, and I’ll never grow old if I never grow up.
- CFL and NFL football,
- Formula 1,
- Monty Python (Picture above was taken while on a trip to London to see their reunion)
- Black Adder
- Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy
- and any absurdities you can think of
I’m eclectic and random as hell. Thanks for dropping in.
- It Only Happened OnceOne of the infuriating things about my buddy Eric was that he ALWAYS beat me trouting. We have trouted in some pretty out of the way places back home, scrabbling over deadfalls, walking through the thick woods where there was no path, one day, maybe more, taking off our or …
- The Three DonsThis is curling season in Canada. The Scotties Tournament of Hearts just ended, and starting tomorrow the Tim Horton’s Brier begins. Curling brings back memories of growing up and watching Sportsweekend and other sports programming on CBC on Saturday afternoon and weekends. Back then every weekend, there was a 1 …
- Trick or Treat, Smell My FeetGive me something good to eat Not too big Not too small Just the size of Montreal I remember chanting this old rhyme in school, but I’d never think of actually saying it at the door! I don’t think the old timers back home would have been very amused! But …