- Chop onion into bite size bits
- Saute onion in butter in a 4 quart saucepan
- When onion starts to turn translucent, stir in flour slowly, being careful not to burn, to make a thick paste
- slowly stir in milk and continue to cook until it thickens (10-15 minutes)
- remove from heat and stir in about 3/4 of the cheddar. Will melt from heat of the sauce.
- Wash cod, and pat dry on paper towel
- Add cod to glass baking dish
- pour sauce over, and spread evenly
- sprinkle remaining cheddar on top
- Bake at 375 for approximately 45 minutes
Just some notes:
- Add more or less cheddar to individual tastes
- season cod as desired before adding sauce. We don't cook with salt, but do add pepper
- We often cook a little longer because we don't preheat. Keep an eye out, cheddar on top should be golden brown, and sauce bubbling well.
Share this Recipe
Raised in outport Newfoundland in a town of 65 people, I pursued a post secondary diploma in Information Technology right out of High School.
I’ve always been a geek at heart, but yet I love the rural life I grew up with. Fishing, hunting, camping and the great outdoors are still loves of mine, even if I don’t pursue them as often as I once did. Sports were always a big part of our lives, and I played many (badly) and loved them all.