- 1 large onion
- 1 can Corned Beef Sometimes called Bully Beef
- 6-8 potatoes mashed
- 1/4 cup butter approximately
- Boil potatoes till cooked, then cool.
- peel and chop onion to preference. I like mine a little chunkier. Fry in butter till soft and tender.
- Add onion and butter to potato and mash together.
- Mash corned beef separately, then add to potato stirring together. (See picture for consistency)
- Add salt and pepper to taste
- Form into patties, sprinkle with flour and fry in butter or oil till golden brown
Goes great with mustard pickles!
Note: For a more traditional taste, fry the patties in rendered salt back pork fat!
Share this Recipe
My Mom made these at least once a week. We were a family of 8 kids and 2 parents. I loved them and also like corned beef ash made from the tin of corned beef onions and mashed potatoes. Yummy
Had a craving for meat cakes tonight here in Indio California. They were awesome and just like I remembered them! I served them with green beans as they are very available here. Then I set out a dish of bread and butter pickles…awesome me son…
Da wife is going to hang on to me for another day..lol
Dan from Clarenville..
I made them a couple weeks ago as well. Prefer the old fashioned green tomato pickles, or as I see it called now, chow, but gotta have some kind!